Monday 9 January 2017

{English} Summer Days and Summer Nights

For fans of: Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell, An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
Published: 2016 (Pan MacMillan)
Pages: 384
























Blurb: This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. Includes: Leigh Bardugo, Nina LaCour, Libba Bray, Francesca Lia Block, Stephanie Perkins, Tim Federle, Veronica Roth, Jon Skovron, Brandy Colbert, Cassandra Clare, Jennifer E Smith, Lev Grossman.

My opinion:  One word summary: disappointing. I thought this would be a fluffy, romantic read, just like "My True Love Gave To Me", only set during summer. Instead, half of the stories made me actually feel depressed. That's not what summer is supposed to make you feel like.
"Head, Scales, Tongue, Tail" by Leigh Bardugo: This one had a slow start and then it got interesting, but that's it. I was hoping for more from Leigh Bardugo!
"The End of Love" by Nina LaCour: This one had a slow start too but the ending was worth reading it. It came very close to what I was expecting of this book.
"Last Stand at the Cinegore" by Libba Bray: Kind of funny, but then it got weird.
"Sick Pleasure" by Francesca Lia Block: WHAT IS THIS? This was - hands down - the worst short story in this anthology. No, the worst short story I've ever read. Like I said, I almost died of rolling my eyes. The writing style is so weird and because the author only used initial letters instead of names I had no idea who these people were. The protagonist was so stupid, I can't describe it otherwise. This story really left me depressed and angry. I mean, the person who wrote this has obviously never been skiing in their live. While I learned skiing when I was three. So I don’t exactly remember much abut the learning process itself, but I’m a pretty good skier and let me tell you this: nothing is “fine” when you’re holding onto another skiier because you’d both get tangled up in two pairs of skis and sticks. That’s not ice skating. And if you stand or drive very slowly (like e. g. a beginner) and do that probably on an easy slope, you might fall, yes, and if you’re unlucky enough something MIGHT happen, maybe you’d just slip down the slope a few meters. But you won’t tumble down the slope like a cartoon figure (or maybe a professional ski racer at full speed). What do we learn from this? Writers, do your research properly, because someone WILL notice. I’m Austrian and I take skiing VERY seriously!
"In Ninety Minutes, Turn North" by Stephanie Perkins: It took me half of the story to realise this was the sequel to the story from "My True Love Gave To Me". Kind of cute, but it felt drawn out and the protagonist was annoying half of the time.
"Souvenirs" by Tim Federle: How stupid is that protagonist's love interest? Duh...
"Inertia" by Veronica Roth: Apparently, Veronica Roth can't write anything that isn't futuristic.
"Love is the Last Resort" by Jon Skovron: That one was straight out boooooring! No more comments needed.
"Good Luck and Farewell" by Brandy Colbert: This one was okay, but it didn't make me feel anything.
"Brand New Attraction" by Cassandra Clare: Just like Veronica Roth, Cassandra Clare can't write outside her usual genre, so OF COURSE this story had to include demons. But other than that it was rather original and a quick read.
"A Thousand Ways This Could All Go Wrong" by Jennifer E. Smith: See, this is the content I was looking for! This story was way better than the rest and if all stories would have been like this, the book would have gotten a full five stars.
"The Map of Tiny Perfect Things" by Lev Grossman: It has the vibe of "Ground Hog Day" and I enjoyed most of it, but the ending kind of killed it for me. And I think there were a lot of other things that these kids could have done in their situation.
Even though I got the book about three weeks before its release date it took me forever to read it.


  
My rating: 2/5 Buttons

No comments:

Post a Comment