Monday 27 February 2017

{English} Nimona - Noelle Stevenson

For fans of: Superhero comics, strong female characters, villains
Published: 2015
Pages: 266


 
Blurb: Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.
Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.
But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.


My opinion: While reading this I thought: why do I not read graphic novels more often?
This was so fun and quick and filled with dark humor. Exactly my kind of humor.
Long story short, it's a story about a villain and his sidekick. Well, to be more precise, the sidekick is the main character. I mean, she gives the story it's name, Nimona, but the villain Blackheart, is very important as well. Although he pretty much sucks at being a villain. He's not as evil or cruel as others and way too nice. I like him.
Nimona is simply awesome. I want, I NEED more characters like her. She's not the pretty, excellent-at-everything-without-realising-it, Special GirlTM.
I didn't like Goldenloin first, but he really underwent some character developement.
What I liked about the worldbuilding was this mix of medieval fantasy and superhero comics. You wouldn't think that this could go together so well.
I'm not entirely happy with the ending, but it leaves the possibility for a Sequel!

 
 

My rating: 5/5 Buttons



No comments:

Post a Comment