Friday 31 March 2017

{English} Legend (Legend #1) - Marie Lu

For fans of: The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins, Divergent - Veronica Roth
Published: 2013 (Speak)
Pages: 308






















Blurb: From different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths...

Until June's brother is murdered, and Day becomes the prime suspect.

In a shocking turn of events, the two uncover what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths to which their country will go to keep its secrets.


My opinion: Before I started this novel I was really scared that it would be just another generic dystopian. Well, to be honest, in many points it actually was, but it was really well done. The world building was very elaborate, even though we don't get to see everything in the first book already. It really made sense this way, because we only know as much as the main characters.


Another thingt that worried me was two different first person narrators, because - as I've mentioned multiple times before - I don't like first person narrators. And then there's two of them! But I've been proven wrong before and Marie Lu did a good job here. It's just a little strange that Day's POV is written in some greenish/yellowish font without serifs. The colour didn't bother me that much, but the sanserif font made it a little hard to read. Even if you usually notice it, serifs actually have a function (;

Even though June is so good at many things, her character felt believable and she wasn't irritating - which is often the case for totally perfect characters. But still, her character felt a little cold and distant and so was Day. A little bit more insight would have been nice. The book is quite short and it wouldn't have bothered me.
Their falling in love - or rather developing a crush on eachother - happened a little too quick. I know, that was important for the story, but they knew eachother for how long? Two days?


I was really shocked when June's brother died, because first I thought he had just been injured. I have to admit I didn't read the blurb before I started reading and I bought this book years ago. One thing that didn't surprise me was the identity of the murderer. I suspected this person long before June had evidence. Still I liked this little crime story within the distopian.

Even though I really enjoyed this novel and read it within two days, I'm not sure if I will continue reading. Something that I've expierienced with many dystopian series is that they have a promising start and the rest sucks. Therfore I don't want to destroy the positive feeling that Legend left behind.

 
 

My rating: 4/5 Buttons

No comments:

Post a Comment